Friday, August 30, 2013

Major Embarrassment


Yesterday I was in a store walking behind a lady whose underwear showed through her skirt. Her bright pink underwear came through loud and clear under her cream colored skirt. Not sure what to do I debated with myself. Should I tell her? Should I remain silent? I didn’t want to tell her and have her get angry or worse… start crying due to embarrassment. Maybe she knew and wanted her panties to show. Maybe bright colored underwear is the only gift her cheap husband gives her and she wants to show it off. Maybe she’s a fashion designer and is testing what she hopes to become a new trend.

We’ve all been in awkward, social situations where were not sure what to do especially if you don’t know the person that well. These situations are awkward and embarrassing for both parties involved.

When you see a stranger walking with toilet paper stuck to the bottom of her shoe, do you say anything? If you’re having lunch with your new boss, do you point out the spinach stuck between his teeth; or do you try to ignore it? Do you run your tongue over your teeth, only to realize you’ve given him the wrong idea? Do you tell a nurse who’s about to stab you with a needle she has lipstick on her teeth? Do you tell a man his fly is open and risk him wondering why you were looking THERE? Do you tell someone with a booger hanging from their nose to blow?

I had an embarrassing moment in elementary school. During class I went to the bathroom. When I returned to class I had to walk across the room, in front of all my classmates, back to my seat. I heard giggling and muffled laughter and saw the nun looking at me and praying (Catholic school.) My classmates were laughing at my skirt stuffed inside my underwear. Now, thinking back, I’m grateful I wasn’t wearing bright underwear under a cream colored skirt. Now, that would have been a major embarrassment.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment