Sunday, September 29, 2013

Most important Meal of the Day


To the horror of nutritional experts the Halloween-theme cereals have hit store shelves. An article in USA Today reported these experts take issue with these cereals as they have too much sugar, dyes and not enough fiber. Why if my husband didn’t eat a brightly colored, high sugar, low fiber cereal, he wouldn’t consider it breakfast. The man likes cereal. Our kitchen pantry holds twelve open cereal boxes; and for a family of three, that’s a lot of cereal. Sometimes staleness sets in before a box can be finished. He gets happy eating Count Chocula as he regards the chocolate flavored milk a perk.

I’ve never really been a breakfast person, probably because I’m not a morning person. Growing up my kids knew where the cereal was and where the toaster was if needed to toast a waffle or Pop Tart. They also knew if they wanted a hot, healthy breakfast they had to do one of two things: go to a friend’s house or wait for their father to cook one on the weekend.

On a Sunday morning a home cooked breakfast could include eggs, pancakes, sausage, bacon, hash browns, toast and waffles. The first time my husband made me breakfast I was stunned to learn people eat homemade waffles rather than frozen; and there was a contraption to make them. Who knew? Wonders never cease.

Growing up eating breakfast out was a big deal as it symbolized vacation. One week out of the year, while on vacation we would eat breakfast out. I guess since it was a rare treat I came to view it as special. It’s funny how I never minded waking up early for breakfast while on vacation.

When we went on vacation with our kids sometimes we would bring along the little travel size cereal boxes. Since there was something for everyone, everyone was happy. The one thing that could have made my husband happier is if there was a box of Count Chocula.

1 comment:

  1. Are you the perfect parent who cooks their kids a nutritious breakfast? Not me. I taught my kids if they wanted a home cooked breakfast they had to do one of two things.

    ReplyDelete